Life In Recovery Meeting Format and Materials
The meeting format we’ve developed is what works for us. Find the format that works for you. This is just one model to get you started.
Our basic meeting format is a welcome, foundation information (steps and traditions), singing, discussion of a step or recovery principle, life affirmations and serenity prayer.
We include various items that help individuals who come from treatment centers to “get credit” for coming to the meeting. Many come from secular centers and so things like “a preamble”, the reading of the “12-steps” and “traditions” (We’ve developed our “Why We Come” as our traditions) are necessary pieces to include.
We always have a time of singing because folks like it and because we believe it opens the door to the presence of God in ways words sometimes don’t. Again because we have men and women from both Christian and secular groups joining with us, we make prayer ministry available at the end of the meeting. Some other groups like to weave that into the format of their meetings.
We use the “Life Affirmations” as a summary of what can ground us in our daily living. We include the full Serenity Prayer rather than the abbreviated version used at most meetings. Do what works for you.
For each meeting participant we provide:
- a copy of the study sheet,
- a copy of the 12 steps,
- a copy of the “Individual Handout” that includes the welcome, prayers, the list of addictions, Life Affirmations, and Serenity Prayer.
We put everything but the study sheet in plastic sheet protectors and re-use them from week to week. We encourage individuals to take the study sheets home with them for further study and prayer.
As leader of the meeting you will want to have available the following:
- Meeting Outline For Facilitator
- Individual Handout of resources
- Individual study sheets, 12-step sheet, life affirmations & Serenity prayer, List of addictions
- Suggested 3 year outline (pdf)
- Dependencies and Addictions (pdf)
- Individual Handouts (pdf)
- Meeting Outline For Facilitator (pdf)
- Discussion Sheets by Step or Topic
- Facilitators Notes (pdf)
- 75 Positive Character Traits for you to Identify
- Scriptures About God
- The Character Of God
- Evangelism Principles (pdf)
- The Transformation Process (pdf)